Significant Highlights of the Blessed Land of Tigers – Kanha National Park – Things to Do In Kanha and Complete Guide on Kanha National Park Madhya Pradesh Hearts of India
- Kanha National Park is being popularized as the most beautiful tiger reserve across the world.
- It was declared a forest reserve in 1879 and further upgraded to a National Park in 1955.
- This spirited land has been the source of inspiration for Rudyard Kipling’s beautiful creation – “The Jungle Book”.
- This lush green heaven is spread in 1945 square kilometres.
- The home of substantial varieties of fauna out of which the jungle is best known for some rare species like Barasingha, the Swamp Deer which is famously called “the Jewel of Kanha”, along with the vivacious tigers.
Have you bored with your daily life? Are you looking for an adventurous Jungle and Tiger safari? Do you want to spend some precious time of your life in tranquillity and the lap of mother nature? If your answer is; Yes! Then you must visit Kanha National Park of India you can get the Complete Guide Kanha National Park.
Kanha National Park is a popularized and one of the most beautiful wildlife areas in the world, which is famous for its lush emerald Saal and Bamboo forests, enormous green fields, rare species, vicious tigers and adventurous Jungle and Tiger safari.
Kanha National Park Location
Kanha National Park of India is situated in the Maikal range of Satpuras in Madhya Pradesh, the heart of India that forms the central Indian highlands. Madhya Pradesh is a state of India which is situated in the center of India; it’s also called the heart of India.
Area of Kanha National Park
Kahna National park is spread across two revenue districts, the Mandala and the Kalaghat has an area of 940 kilometres Square. After adding its buffer zone and core altogether, the Kanha Tiger Reserve has the total area of 1945 Kilometres Square.
Kanha National Park of India was declared a reserve forest in 1873 and revalued in 1933 as a wildlife sanctuary. In 1955 its stature was further upgraded to a national park, and after 19 years it was created as a Tiger reserve in 1974 under the project “Tiger”.
The landscapes and the surroundings of the Kanha National Park give captivating scenes, incredible feelings and memorable experience to its visitors.
Its landscapes and surroundings are full of meadows along with wooded strands and the lush emerald forests which support to grow to its flora and fauna; you will glad to know that some species of Fauna and Flora have been happily growing in percentage which was about to go extinct.
The crystal clear streams amidst in the dense forest cleanse the surroundings and make the wildlife incredible; it makes this land more beautiful and captivating. This lively land has been the source of inspiration for Rudyard Kipling’s outstanding creation – “ The Jungle Book”.
Main Attraction of Kanha
The Kanha National Park Of India is the model home for wide ranges of wild creatures; right from the gigantic tigers to the most populated Barasingha and the innumerable species of plants, birds, reptiles and insects. Many famous people and travellers from all around the world have been fascinated by this vivacious land.
- Brief Topography of Kanha National Park Of India
- Total Area – 1945 km2 (including 940-kilometre square core area)
- State – Madhya Pradesh
- Altitude – 600-900 metre above the sea level
- Temperature – Maximum 40.6°C in summers and Minimum 11.1°C in winters
- When to Visit: 15th of October to till 30th of June (closed during monsoon, i.e. July 01 to 15 October)
- Annual Rainfall: 1600mm
Its Fauna and Flora:
This vivacious land is spread in a vast area that’s why it has the innumerable species of Fauna and Flora; let’s find out some major highlights of its Fauna and Flora.
Swamp Deer (Barasingha): The Swamp dear is also known as “the Jewel of Kanha” at this place and you can find swam dear in a massive number on this land.
Tiger: As we know, Tiger is the national animal of India, and the Indian government is very serious about the protection and the breeding of Tigers; that’s why you can find here Tigers in a vast number.
You can also find these species of animals too, Chital, Sambar, Barasingha, Deer, Chousingha, Gaur, Langur, Wild Pig, Sloth Bear, Black Buck, Hyna, Wild Boar, Rudd Mongoose, Indian Fox, Badger, Indian Hare and Wild Dog.
You can easily find those species if reptiles too which were about to go extinct. Indian Monitor, Fan Throated Lizard, Russell’s Viper, Indian Cobra, Indian Krait, Rat Snake, Indian Garden Lizard, Python.
Kanha National Park of India is heaven for bird lovers, Species of birds which are commonly found in the park include Indian Roller, Shama, Blossom-headed Parakeet, Spotbill Duck, Bush Lark, Indian Tree Pipit, Brahminy Myna, Common Iora, Pied Myna, Golden, OrioleVerditer Flycatcher, and Red Munia.
The Major Floras which has discovered in Kanha Reserve:
Saja, Dhawa, Tendu, Palas, Bija, Mahua, Aonla, Sal, Achar and Bamboo. Besides, these species you can find many other species of climbers, forbs, Lendia and grass.
Safari Zones in Kanha National Park:
Kanha National Park has four core zones which are accessible form different entry gates. All these core zones are very popular among visitors.
These are the four core zones named as; 1) Kanha Zone,2) Mukki Zone, 3) Kisli Zone, 4) Sarhi Zone.
Kanha National Park also has the following buffer zones: 1) Khatia, 2) Motinala, 3) Khapa, 4) Sijhora, 5) Samnapur and 6) Garhi.
Firstly, You should know the difference between the Core area and buffer area of the park. The core area is the central part of the park. The core area is the area that shares its outer boundaries with buffer’s inner boundaries, but the buffer area is that area of the park which shares its outer boundaries with the rest of the world.
The core zones are popular among the visitors because these zones have a higher probability of Tiger sighting. Therefore many people prefer to do bookings for core zones safari.
Kanha Jungle Safari Timings:
Open Jeep Safaris are the best way to perceive wildlife in the dense and lush emerald forest of Kanha National Park. At the Kanha National park in a single day jeep safari can be done 02 times. One safari can be done in the early mornings and the second one in the late afternoon by using 06 seater open vehicle.
In each vehicle 06 passengers, are allowed to travel along with one guide and one driver.
The Safari Timings are the following:
|Timings||Morning Safari||Afternoon Safari|
|16th October to 15th February||Sunrise to 11:00 A.M.||2:00 P.M. to Sunset|
|16th February to 15th April||Sunrise to 11:00 A.M.||2:00 P.M. to Sunset|
|16th April to 30th June||Sunrise to 11:00 A.M.||2:00 P.M. to Sunset|
- At Kanha afternoon shift of Jeep Safari remain closed for visitors on Every Wednesday.
- Morning and Afternoon both shifts remain closed on Holi festival. (In March)
Types of Safaris and Their Booking Methods and Charges: The entrance ticket you can book online or through a tour operator or travel agents or if available, you can also make the booking from the window at the entrance gate of the National Park. Vehicle charges and guide fee are separate from the entrance ticket; therefore, you have to pay it separately. You should book the entrance ticket in well advance to avoid any chance of unavailability of Safari seats because the limited number of vehicles are permitted to enter inside the forest in each shift. While the time of booking and entering in the Park you have to keep your identity card like Adhar Card, Pan Card, Driving card, etc. as a mandatory identity document and for foreigners visitors, only their active passport is treated as their identity documents. Types of Safari in Kanha National Park: There are many different options available for a pleasureful and adventurous safari in Kanha National Park of India. You can choose among these options according to your budget and suitability.
- Full Vehicle Safari:
- In Full- Vehicle Safari, you will get unshared safari with your guide and driver. The cost of full vehicle safari will be 6500 INR per vehicle.
- Shared – Safari:
- In Shared- Safari or single-seat safari, you will be accompanied by other co- visitors. Maximum 06 visitors are allowed in one Jungle safari vehicle. Shared safari cost will be near 1100 INR per person.
- Canter Safari: In simple words, Canter safari means open bus safari. It is also like Jeep safari, but in the Canter, the numbers of co visitors are increased. It is a 12-seater open bus, available at safari entrance gates of Kanha national park. It is the best option for those people who are in groups like 08 or 10 members.
- Elephant Safari: By Elephant safari, it becomes easy to access those parts of the Park, which is not accessible by jeeps.
- Full day Safari: Full day safari is slightly costly form another safari, but after completing the safari, you will be surely amazed by the vicious land of Tigers. And it will be worth to spend money and your time to that place which is purely in the lap of mother nature.
- Birding Walks and Nature Trails: Birding walks and Nature trails are conducted on the request by lodge naturalists in the forest adjoining the lodge. Travellers can visit several small lakes, the Banjaar River and Gond Tribal homes during these visits.
Buffer Zones Safari:
Buffer Zones Safari are excellent for bird watching and some other rare species of the Park.
- Best Time to Visit Kanha National Park:
The Park is open during the period from mid-October to June End. It depends on you, when would you like to visit this Park if you would like the winter season; you should visit the Park from mid-October to last January, and if you are a summer season lover then you can visit from February 01 to Last June.
- How to Visit Kanha National Park:
Kanha National Park of India has a good network of transportation in terms of Air, Rail and Road.
Kanha National park is easily accessible from all the major cities of the world through Airways. The nearest airport from the Kanha National Park are situated in Jabalpur(160 Km), Raipur(250 Km) and Nagpur(300Km).
Jabalpur and Gondia are the two nearest railway stations head from Kanha National Park, Jabalpur Railway Station is situated at the distance of 160 Km away and Gondia is located at the range of 145 km from Kanha National Park of India.
Kanha has excellent connectivity of roads. It is connected with major cities of Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh and Maharashtra. Private and Public buses and cabs are operated to the Park from the Major cities of these states.
Taxi Services in Kanha
The following table will help us understand the cost of travel from nearby cities.
Resorts and Hotels in Kanha National Park:
Hotels and resorts can be booked online or by travel agents. There are many best hotels and resorts available in Kanha in every segment. Like you can book resorts and hotels in the following categories according to your budget.
Luxury Hotels – Luxury types of resorts and hotels can be booked under 8000 INR To 37000 INR per Night, Per Room.
Deluxe Hotel – You can book these a segment of Hotels under 5000 INR to 8000 per night, per room.
Standard Hotel – Under this the segment, the cost will be near about 3000 INR to 4500 per Night.
Budget Hotel – Budget hotels can be booked in 1500 INR to 2500 per Night.